CONSTRUCTION OF SOLID BIOFUEL PLANTS
"Braun Industrial Technology GmbH" company has more than 30 years of practical experience in the implementation of projects in the field of traditional and alternative energy.
In partnership with the German Renewable Energy Agency (FNR), investment proposals have been prepared for territorial communities in Ukraine, for the joint construction of plant biomass processing plants and for the production of solid biofuels. The implementation of investment projects is oriented towards ensuring the energy independence of the community and increasing the level of integration of Ukraine into the European Union, which is connected with the fulfilment of the requirements of the European Energy Cooperation and requirements.
Main project objective - is to establish a business for the production of alternative solid biofuels from local plant biomass. The availability of home-made solid bituming will enable the territorial community to produce heat with cheaper energy and to move away from traditional energy sources (natural gas, liquid heating oil, coal). The technical refurbishment of existing boilers and furnaces, with the installation of granulated biofuel burners (pellets), will enable the community to reduce the budgetary costs of producing 1 Gkal. up to 70% thermal power.
Sources of raw materials for the production of solid biofuels
В качестве сырья для производства твердого биотоплива используется биологически возобновляемая масса органического происхождения — пожнивные остатки (солома, стебли и др.) промышленного растениеводства аграрных предприятий, работающих на территории общины, биомасса дикорастущих культур (камыш, древесные остатки санитарной очистки лесных насаждений и др.). Для обеспечения стабильного объема растительной биомассы целесообразно создание собственных промышленных плантаций многолетних энергетических культур:
- Perennial grass crops:
- Miskantus gigantic(Miscanthus x giganteus);
- Silphia (Silphium perfoliatum);
- Sida (Sida hermaphrodita);
- Switchgrass (Panicum virgatum).
- Tree crops:
- Pavlovnia (Paulownia tomentosa); tomentosa); .
- Energy willow (Salix Energi);
— Poplar (Populus Popol).
Для закладки промышленных плантаций энергетических культур можно использовать свободные земельные участки, не занятые в промышленном земледелии (неудобья, малопродуктивные и деградированные земли и др.). Наличие промышленных плантаций энергетических культур позволяет ежегодно получать качественное сырье для производства топливных пеллет в объеме до 20 тонн с гектара.
The implementation of the project is carried out by a joint company in the form of a Limited Liability Company, the founders and participants of which are LLC «German-Ukrainian company Braun Industrial Technology» and authorized communal enterprise of the territorial community.
The sources of project financing are:
For the implementation of the project, the joint enterprise forms a target project budget in an estimated amount of UAH 20.4 million. The Joint Venture has developed a project budget of UAH 1.2 million. The formation of the targeted budget will be carried out through the members' contributions to the joint venture charter capital:
- Investment in authorized capital by the territorial community in the form of money - 50 per cent of the total project budget;
- Investment in authorized capital by LLC «German-Ukrainian company Braun Industrial Technology» in the form of money means - 50% of the total budget of the project.
Note: for territorial Communities, it is possible to deposit 25 per cent of its share with money and 25 percents with Local Guarantee.
The road map of the project is available here
Read more about the Local Guarantee here
Plant biomass processing technology
The main components of the plant biomass processing process and the production of solid granulated biofuels (pellets) are:
- collection and accumulation of plant biomass;
- mechanical shredding and crushing of biomass;
- biomass mixing and humidity treatment;
- biomass granulation;
- cooling and sorting of energy granules (pellets);
- biofuel packaging for transportation.
Project implementation services
List of main services/works provided in the framework of business projects for biogas waste treatment plant construction:
- Assessment of the potential of accessible biomass;
- Assessment of the possibility of growing plant biomass in industrial area energy crops;
- Development of the optimal conception for project implementation (including the development of a business plan);
- Pre-design work ( collection of design inputs, development of investment performance feasibility studies etc.);
- Obtaining urban planning conditions;
- Design works;
- Selection and delivery of basic equipment;
- Construction, installation and commissioning;
- Putting the facility into operation;
The planning calendar for the plant for the processing of plant biomass and the production of solid granulated biofuels will be 8 calendar months.
Who needs this business and why?
A plant producing solid biofuels from plant biomass is an important link in terms of the energy independence of the territorial community. The geographical remoteness of the localities that make up the community, in most cases, prevents the use of traditional energy sources in the production of thermal energy. There is a need for the community to organize and set up local heat zones for heating the community’s social facilities (pre-school, schools, hospitals, cultural facilities) using separate boilers and furnaces. The high cost of traditional energy supplies places considerable pressure on the community’s budget. The conversion of existing boilers and heating furnaces to alternative biofuels (pellets) reduces the cost of thermal energy to 70 percents.
Local plant biomass processing plants are guaranteed to meet the Community’s need for affordable fuel, to save budget, to generate additional revenue for the Community, create 20 additional jobs for the Community.